Virginia is a Certification State. The law in Virginia provides for dietitians and nutritionists’ certification and protects the titles “dietitian” and “nutritionist.” Holistic nutrition professionals may work within their scope of practice.
- 54.1-2731. Prohibited terms; penalty.
- As used in this section, “nutritional genomics” means the consideration of biochemical or genetic information to evaluate how genetics affect gene function and how genetic variation alters nutrient response, including the study of how dietary and other lifestyle choices influence the function of humans at the molecular, cellular, organismal, and populational levels.
- No person shall hold himself out to be or advertise or permit to be advertised that such person is a dietitian or nutritionist unless such person:
- Has (i) received a baccalaureate or higher degree in nutritional sciences, community nutrition, public health nutrition, food and nutrition, dietetics, or human nutrition from a regionally accredited college or university and (ii) satisfactorily completed a program of supervised clinical experience approved by the Commission on Dietetic Registration of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics;
- Has active registration through the Commission on Dietetic Registration of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics;
- Has an active certificate of the Board for Certification of Nutrition Specialists as a Certified Nutrition Specialist;
- Has an active certification as a Diplomate of the American Clinical Board of Nutrition;
- Has a current license or certificate as a dietitian or nutritionist issued by another state; or
- Has the minimum requisite education, training and experience determined by the Board of Health Professions appropriate for such person to hold himself out to be, or advertise or allow himself to be advertised as, a dietitian or nutritionist.
- 54.1-2730. Scope of chapter.
Nothing in this chapter shall preclude or affect in any fashion the ability of any person to provide any assessment, evaluation, advice, counseling, information or services of any nature that are otherwise allowed by law, whether or not such services are provided in connection with the marketing and sale of products.
Source: § 54.1-2730. Scope of chapter, Chapter 27.1 of Title 54.1