Dietary Supplement Educational Curriculum Requirements
Graduates of NANP-approved programs are eligible to take the Certified Dietary Supplement Professional™ and become an Associate Member of the NANP.
Dietary Supplement Educational Curriculum Requirements – 8 credits (1 semester credit=45 educational hours)
- Anatomy/Physiology/Biochemistry – 1 semester credit
- Nutritional Support of the Body – 2 semester credits
- Lifecycle Nutrition:
- Men’s health (pediatric & geriatric)
- Women’s health (pediatric & geriatric)
- Sports Nutrition
- Body Systems:
- Blood sugar
- Cardiovascular system
- Healthy diet
- Immune system
- Mental health/stress
- Lifecycle Nutrition:
- Nutraceuticals – 2 semester credits –
- Vitamins & minerals
- Legal Responsibilities* & Supplement Quality* – 3 semester credits:
- DSEA (Dietary Supplement Education Act)
- FALCPA (Food Allergy Labeling and Consumer Protection Act)
- FDA (Food & Drug Administration)
- GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice)
- Delivery form
- Disease treatment language
- Excipients/other ingredients
- Health claims
- Health supportive language
- Marketing claims
- Proprietary blends
- Structure-function claims
- Supplement facts
- 3rd party literature
- Qualified Health Claims
- Ethics – Scope of Practice
- Supplement quality
A person wishing to take the CDSP™ exam which has not graduated from an approved dietary supplement program may request an independent review to determine eligibility.
Requirements for the independent review include:
- a cover letter stating the desire to take the CDSP™ exam
- a fifty dollar ($50.00) review fee
- official transcripts from all relevant educational institutions
- course description materials (i.e., catalog, etc.)
- may also include a telephone interview with the NANP Educational Programs Specialist
Persons who do not meet the above-mentioned requirements may be asked to complete one or more study courses before being approved to take the CDSP™ exam. To inquire about an Independent Educational Review (IER), contact Andrea Grandson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Those who do not possess proof of education for the Legal Responsibilities and Supplement Quality standard may still apply for an IER with the understanding that the NANP provides links to study materials for these items in the CDSP™ Exam Study Guide. Those who do not study these documents may be at a disadvantage when taking the exam.
Biocanic is the first of its kind health program intelligence system specifically designed to streamline personal...
NANP Leaders share just a few reasons why joining your industry association is so important. Join the NANP today to get an edge in holistic nutrition.