Certified Dietary Supplement Professional Scope of Service & Standard of Care
A Certified Dietary Supplement Professional (CDSP) advises consumers on the use of dietary supplements for purposes of basic health and wellness.
The CDSP Scope of Service includes:
- the presentation of information, in a regulatory compliant manner (including discussion and dissemination of printed or digital materials) about the science and/or traditional uses of individual nutraceuticals and dietary supplements to consumers
- advising consumers about the appropriate use of dietary supplements which may help support their health and wellness goals
- referring cases outside of expertise and scope of service to appropriate healthcare professionals
There is value in taking quality dietary supplements to help maintain health and wellness and address potential deficiencies or insufficiencies. The role of the Certified Dietary Supplement Professional is to assist interested consumers in selecting dietary supplements to meet their needs.
Certified Dietary Supplement Professional (CDSP) DO:
- maintain compliance with all applicable regulations and guidelines (in the United States this includes adhering to DSHEA – the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act) when assisting consumers in selecting dietary supplement products
- refer to medical doctors, pharmacists or other qualified healthcare professionals for medical conditions and input regarding interactions between herbal, nutrient or other nutraceutical-based products with over the counter or prescription medications
- operate with the highest standard of accountability and integrity
- adhere to NANP’s Scope of Service and Code of Ethics
Certified Dietary Supplement Professional (CDSP) DO NOT:
- practice Medical Nutrition, clinical nutrition or holistic nutrition, unless they are properly educated, licensed or certified in those fields of study
- discuss interactions between herbal, nutrient, or other nutraceutical-based products with over the counter or prescription medications
- diagnose, prevent, cure or treat disease
- make unproven or otherwise unsubstantiated claims regarding the potential efficacy of a dietary supplement
- misrepresent training
- use unproven devices, assessments or therapies
Biocanic is the first of its kind health program intelligence system specifically designed to streamline personal...
NANP Leaders share just a few reasons why joining your industry association is so important. Join the NANP today to get an edge in holistic nutrition.